Please call these State Senate Health Committee members to let then know that you are strongly in favor of the NY State Health Act and single-payer healthcare.
“5 Calls” is a great organizing tool for calls
Join our Action Team to phone-bank for Jon Ossoff, the leading democratic running for Tom Price’s seat in Georgia. Trump only won by 1% so let’s flip this seat! (Contact Kelle Kerr and Stephen Sherman)
This Week’s Actions
• Call Gillibrand, Schumer to oppose Jay Clayton for the Securities and Exchange Commission.
• Call Engel, Gillibrand, Schumer to oppose the Trump budget
• Call Engel and the House Intelligence Majority and Minority Committees to demand an independent bipartisan commission to investigate Russian ties, and tell Nunes to recuse himself.
• Call Engel to demand your privacy (and his) be protected by opposing S.J.Res. 34 “Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services”. This bill rolls back Obama’s FCC rules requiring all Internet browsing and app usage data on mobile devices be subject to the same privacy requirements as sensitive or private personal info, and allows your Internet Service Provider to sell your data. The resolution passed the Senate BY 2 VOTES 3/23/17. It goes to the House next week
• Call Engel (and remind him you both breathe the same air) to oppose H.R. 1430: the “HONEST” Act, intended to “To prohibit the EPA from proposing, finalizing, or disseminating regulations or assessments based upon science that is not transparent or reproducible.” and it would allow the EPA administrator to withhold info at their discretion. The Act’s name is a misnomer as it will erect obstacles before every step in the process. The House votes on this next week.
• Call your State Senator and Assemblyperson to advocate for “Raise the Age” Legislation, support for Education Funding and Voting Reform before the 3/31 Budget vote.
• Call your State Senator and Assemblyperson to advocate for A4078 (S4840): “An act to amend the public health law and the state finance law, in relation to enacting the “New York health act” and to establishing New York Health”. The Democratic Assembly is trying, for the 3rd time, to introduce universal single payer health insurance in this state! The Senate may kill it, so now is the time to pressure your State Senators, especially the IDC.
Westchester: Call Astorino and your County Legislator that the Kensico Dam Ice Rink is a waste of taxpayer $$
From Kirsten Gillibrand –
Here are the top 5 points you need to know about the Trump/GOP health plan:
1. It allows health insurance companies to charge older Americans up to five times more.
2. It repeals the employer mandate, causing many families covered by their employers to lose coverage.
3. It will take insurance away from millions of individuals and cripple state budgets by phasing out the Medicaid expansion.
4. It gives health insurance companies a tax break for CEO pay over $500,000.
5. It defunds Planned Parenthood, leaving millions without access to breast exams, birth control, and pap smears.
– Call your representative in Congress. You can dial the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121.
– Tell your friends to call their representatives in Congress.
– Show up at your representative’s town halls.
- “NO BAN! NO WALL” RALLY: 3/3 hosted by Amnesty International https://www.facebook.com/events/1218605504920908/
- EDUCATION: 3/4 March for Education Justice; starts at 9:30am at the Trump Hotel, 59th Street & Columbus Circle https://www.facebook.com/events/856752357801161/, http://www.aqeny.org/march/
- #NoDAPL: 3/4 March for Standing Rock https://www.facebook.com/events/1364099990278287/
- WOMEN’S RIGHTS: 3/8 A Day Without A Woman in celebration of International Women’s Day – here are actions you can take https://www.womensmarch.com/womensday/ and a rally and march https://www.facebook.com/events/1787104201550324/
On February 9th, Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), senior Member of the House Judiciary Committee, introduced a Resolution of Inquiry directing the Department of Justice to provide the House of Representatives with any and all information relevant to an inquiry into President Trump and his associates’ conflicts of interest, ethical violations—including the Emoluments Clause—and Russia ties. If the House Judiciary Committee does not schedule the resolution for a Markup within 14 legislative days, it becomes a privileged resolution and can be brought to the floor in front of the full House for a vote.
The vote is scheduled for Tuesday, February 28th.
Suggested action: Call the Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee
Chairman Bob Goodlatte (VA-06) …(202) 225-5431
Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, Jr. (WI-05) …(202) 225-5101
Rep. Lamar Smith (TX-21) …(202) 225-4236
Rep. Steve Chabot (OH-01) …(202) 225-2216
Rep. Darrell Issa (CA-49) …(202) 225-3906
Rep. Steve King (IA-04) …(202) 225-4426
Rep. Trent Franks (AZ-08) …(202) 225-4576
Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01) …(202) 225-3035
Rep. Jim Jordan (OH-04) …(202) 225-2676
Rep. Ted Poe (TX-02) …(202) 225-6565
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (UT-03) …(202) 225-7751
Rep. Tom Marino (PA-10) …(202) 225-3731
Rep. Trey Gowdy (SC-04) …(202) 225-6030
Rep. Raúl Labrador (ID-01) …(202) 225-6611
Rep. Blake Farenthold (TX-27) …(202) 225-7742
Rep. Doug Collins (GA-09) …(202) 225-9893
Rep. Ron DeSantis (FL-06) …(202) 225-2706
Rep. Ken Buck (CO-04) …(202) 225-4676
Rep. John Ratcliffe e (TX-04) …(202) 225-6673
Rep. Martha Roby (AL-02) …(202) 225-2901
Rep. Matt Gaetz (FL-01) …(202) 225-4136
Rep. Mike Johnson (LA-04) …(202) 225-2777
Rep. Andy Biggs (AZ-05) …(202) 225-2635
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I am a resident of [City, State, Zip].
I am calling to express my support for HR 111 Resolution of Inquiry. Amid his rhetoric about making America great again, Trump’s plan as expressed by Bannon at CPAC is based on destroying the system that MADE American great. It is up to you to help uncover the dangerous alliances and compromising business associations of the Trump and his administration by providing open access to documents that are essential for ensuring truth and preserving the constitution.
Thank you for doing your duty.
This bill, with bipartisan sponsorship in the Assembly Election Law Committee, seeks to close a significant election financing loophole. Current law, as interpreted by the State Board of Elections (SBOE), allows a single individual to make multiple contributions to the same candidate or committee through separate LLCs. Often it is difficult to know who is ultimately directing the contributions.
Section 1 of the bill adds LLCs to Election Law § 14.116 to provide that
LLCs are subject to the aggregate contribution limit of $5000 that
applies to corporations. It also requires disclosure of the identity of all direct and indirect owners of the LLC.
Section 2 amends § 14-120 of the Election Law by enacting regulations
that prevent the avoidance of the established rules. (i.e., closes loopholes).
The bill has passed the Election Laws Committee in the Assembly and is now being considered by the Codes Committee. Assembly Members who are within NYCD16 are listed in italics.
Members of the NY State Assembly Codes Committee:, Chair, Joseph Lentol, Members, Thomas Abinanti, Vivian Cook, Steven Cymbrowitz, Patricia Fahy, Joseph Giglio, Al Graf, Andrew Hevesi, Charles Lavine, Tom McKevitt, Michael Montesano, Angelo Morinello, Walter Mosley, Daniel O’Donnell, N. Nick Perry, J. Gary Pretlow, Edward Ra, Robin Schimminger, Michele Titus, Helene Weinstein, David Weprin, Kenneth Zebrowski,
The STATE SENATE is considering the same legislation under bill # S00496.
The Senate version is being considered by the Elections Committee. (None of these members is within the NYCD16 area)
Committee Chair: Fred Akshar, (R, C, IP-52) , Ranking Member: Leroy Comrie (D-14), Members:
George A. Amedore, Jr. (R,C,IP-46), Tony Avella (D, IP-11), Martin Malave Dilan (D-18), Patrick M. Gallivan (R,C,IP-59), Liz Krueger (D,WF-28), Kathleen A. Marchione (R,C,IP)-43), James Tedisco (R,C-49)
While none of the State Senators within the CD16 area are on this committee, here is contact information for our Senators:
MEMBER ALBANY OFFICE DISTRICT OFFICE ZIP CODES Jeffrey D. Klein Legislative Office Building, Room 915, Albany , NY 12247 PHONE: 518-455-3595 1250 Waters Place, Suite 1202, Bronx , NY 10461 PHONE: (718) 822-2049 10463, 10470, 10471, 10803, 10552 Andrea Stewart-Cousins 185 State Street Room 907, Legislative Office Building, Albany , NY 12247 PHONE: (518) 455-2585 28 Wells Avenue, Building #3, Yonkers NY 10701 PHONE: (914) 423-4031 10502, 10530, 10583, 10703, 10705, 10706, 10801, 10804 Jamaal Bailey Legislative Office Building Room 707, Albany , NY 12247 PHONE: (518) 455-2061 959 East 233rd St. Bronx , NY 10466-3207 PHONE: 718-547-8854 10466, 10467, 10469, 10550, 10553 George Latimer 615 Legislative Office Building, Albany , NY 12247 PHONE: (518) 455-2031 222 Grace Church Street Suite 300 Port Chester , NY 10573 PHONE: (914) 934-5250 10528 ,10538, 10543, 10573, 10580, 10701, 10704, 10707, 10708, 10709, 10710, 10805
This is the committee that Senator Schumer and the Democrats want to take the lead on investigating Russian contacts, Flynn, etc. They NEED to hear from us.
- Write or phone the committee at: 211 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510; 202 224-1700
- Or write to the chair of the committee: Senator Richard Burr, at the committee address or at his own address: 217 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510; 202 224-3154
- Tell them/him that you want Congress to perform its duty of oversight by having a thorough investigation of any contacts between Michael Flynn and others with Russia, and as part of this President Trump’s tax returns should be subpoenaed.
When writing any Republican chair of any committee, the suggestion is that one should point out that even though you do not live in his district, as chair of a committee he serves all Americans.
Sample suggested letter:
Although I do not live in your district, ALL Americans are your constituents because you are Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. I hope that you will work with Senator Mark Warner and other members of the Committee to carry out Congress’s duty of oversight by thoroughly investigating all contacts between Michael Flynn ad others with Russians and of Russian interference in the American electoral process. As part of this this investigation President Trump’s tax returns should be subpoenaed.
[IF CALLING AND YOU LEAVE A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied]